“Urban gardening” or “urban garden” tends to rise. It means that many people are searching for it on google or any search engine. Well, gardening is a good hobby, but some factors affect it, such as lack of space for planting, which is why urban gardening is formed.
What is Urban Gardening?
Urban gardening is creating a garden in urban or city places. It is the practice of growing plants like vegetables, flowers, herbs, or trees inside the city. It is also developing plants to have successful growth.
Urban gardening can be done by an individual or group of individuals who can create a garden in the city. Due to the lack of space for planting, urban gardening is being done. They grow specific or different varieties of plants. They use some materials like recycled materials where they can grow plants. That is some basic information about urban gardening.
Types of Urban Gardening that You Can Do
Here are ten types of urban gardening that people can use to build their gardens.
1. Container Gardening
– is the process of growing plants inside the container. Many different kinds of containers can be used, such as cans, bottles, tires, and other recycled materials that can be used. It is also a portable way of gardening because the plants are planted inside the container than planted on the ground.
2. Backyard Gardening
– is the process of making a garden located near a property, on the backyard, side of the house, or from the front garden. It has a special place in gardening culture. It also shares food with the neighbors, family, and friends near the house.
– Is refers to any system that combines conventional aquaculture and hydroponics in a symbolic environment. Aquaculture raises aquatic animals such as snails, fish, crayfish, or prawns in tanks, while hydroponics cultivation plants in water.
4. Green Walls
– is a type of urban gardening where the walls around the house are used to grow plants. The plants are placed on either external or internal walls. This method is commonly used on small plants that can be put above the soil and vegetable vines.
5. Indoor Gardening
– is the act of growing plants indoors. It might be a business location, restaurant, office building, home, or enclosed area. There are many different kinds of plants that can be used in this system, and commonly those types of plants don’t need most sunlight.
6. Community Gardening
– is the act of utilizing a piece of land to grow plants. A group of people in the community cultivate the land and grow plants, vegetables, trees, and flowers. They care and raise them to sustain, support, and help the food for the whole community.
7. Balcony Gardening
– is the act of growing plants on the balcony in a decorative way. It is where vegetables, flowers, or small to medium plants are planted or placed on the patio. This type of gardening is one of the most commonly used in houses. It makes the home more beautiful, especially in appearance.
8. Window Gardening
– is a process of growing small potted plants often displayed on the window or windows side. Most commonly, flowers and some small vegetables or herbs are used. It needs a small space where the plants can move and grow better.
9. Rooftop Garden
– is a type of gardening where the plants are being grown on the house’s rooftop. Instead of increasing it on the ground or either on the trellis, the rooftop is an alternative to them. The most common plants grown on the rooftop are vegetable vines or other suitable plants to grow on top of the house.
10. Vertical Gardening
A garden grows plants upward using a trellis or other supporting system other than raising it on the ground. Those plants are grown on a trellis or even on a fence can be considered technically part of a vertical garden. This method can be applied to any plant, such as flowers and vegetables.
Urban Gardening Plants
Here are the ten urban gardening plants that can grow in a garden.
– is one of the plants that can be grown in an urban garden. It grows a few inches, but it doesn’t grow high and bigger and is suitable to grow in a small land area. It grows quickly and needs some basic requirements to grow well. It needs at least 4 hours of a direct hit of sunlight. It requires adequate water. Also, a fertilizer will give them bigger plants, green leafy leaves, and a bounty of fruits.
– is also one of the plants that you can grow in an urban garden. It is a kind of vegetable which is also easy to grow. There are varieties of eggplant; the longer one, the bigger one, and the medium size one. Those eggplants are suitable to grow in a small portion of land, especially in the city. Use recycled material to do this.
– or pechay, in another term, is one of the easiest to grow vegetables. Well, this vegetable grows for almost 30 days, and you can start harvesting them. It needs more sunlight and also an adequate amount of water. Apply water twice a day. It will grow better if the application of fertilizer is being applied.
– also a plant that is easy to grow. This plant can also be grown in an urban garden. It doesn’t grow bigger, which is good in a small piece of soil. The plant may take around 3-4 months to grow and harvest. There are many different kinds of pepper; for example, hot pepper or bell pepper can thrive in an urban garden.
– or ladies’ finger is also one of the plants you can grow in a garden. It is easy to grow a plant. It is growing this plant directly on the soil because transplanting does not apply. It takes 3-4 months before you can start harvesting those okra pods. Harvest them when a little bit young because they taste so good.
– is also applicable to grow in the city. It is easy to grow and needs a little bit of care. Plant the onion in bulbs, in groups, or through seeds. But usually, it is planted using bulbs. The onions are capable of growing and will need a little bit of effort to grow this plant. It needs some basic requirements like sunlight, water, and fertilizer.
– like onions, it is also capable of growing in urban places. It needs some sunlight, fertilizer, and water. Growing this needs some small amount of land area. The garlic is also easy to grow because it takes around 90 to 120 days before you can start harvesting.
– is a plant that grows well. Growing this plant is also one of the easiest. Why? Because when this plant is planted, it doesn’t require cultivating the soil or any; you will wait for it to spread its root crops below. It needs a little effort, and everything will be fine.
– is a kind of fruit for others, but it is also treated as a vegetable. But whether of the two, the squash is also one of the vegetables you can grow in the city. It grows wide, yes. And because of that, you can expand it on your rooftop. As mentioned a while ago, rooftop gardening is one type of urban gardening. Let the squash crawl above, and everything will be fine.
10. Bitter Gourd
– or in another term, ampalaya is a kind of vegetable vine. Like squash, you can also grow it on your rooftop or maybe make a trellis beside your house. You can also use your walls around the house, and they will look great. It needs some source of sunlight, water, and fertilizers.
Urban Gardening Basic Tools
Here are the ten essential urban gardening tools that can help build a garden.
1. Spray Bottles
– this tool is used in spraying. It can be used to water small plants or spray pesticides. This tool is helpful because small plants need a small amount of water. Instead of using sprinklers, use spray bottles so that a small amount of water will flow and the plants will be safe and can prevent it from damaging their parts.
2. Clay Pot
– the clay pot is usually used to grow flowers. It is used to decorate the balcony and some areas of the house. There are different sizes of a clay pot, small, medium, and large which you can choose which of those you are going to use. Small-sized pots have a shallow, deep hole where you plant small plants and bigger plants to those medium and bigger-sized clay pots.
– are used to water the plants. It can hold adequate water that can water more plants. It is easy to use and has a handle above. It has openings on the upper part with many holes. This tool is applicable whether living in the city or rural places. Many gardeners use this tool because the water flow is better and more precise.
– are good to use in urban gardening. Some small plants like tomato and eggplant are suitable to plant on medium-size cans. They can grow in a better way and can sprout their roots effectively. Cans are being used because it is hard, solid, and cannot easily break. It can handle a little more load inside and help gardeners grow vegetables.
– are also used as potting to grow plants. The bottles have a space inside which the plants can grow effectively. The roots of the plants can spread and sprout, which will help the plants grow better. There are small bottles like drinking bottles and also bigger size ones. Those tiny bottles can be used to grow small vegetables or plants and herbs, which those bigger sizes can use to grow bigger plants.
– can also be used in gardening. Having a creative and excellent mind can create a better and great land where many vegetables are growing. Tires it is a circle with holes, and through the sort of imagination and high thinking skills, you can make a better way to use it. You can cut the tires in half and use both parts in growing plants. Some gardeners put wires as ties on the upper portion of the house or walls. But the best thing you can use is this in an urban garden.
It can also be used in gardening. It has a deep hole that can be used to grow bigger plants. It is excellent because the water goes under the sack neat when applying water, preventing the water from stacking. There are vegetables like tomatoes, okra, eggplant, and squash that can be grown inside. There are many vegetables you can grow, and it will be perfect.
8. Hand Trowels
Are the perfect gardening tool that is most commonly used in gardening. This tool has a plastic, metal, or wooden handle with curved metal blades. This tool is used in transplanting plants, most commonly seedlings. The hand trowel will help those gardeners in the urban city. It will help in cultivating and planting vegetables.
9. Pruning Shears
This handy tool is used for trimming dead branches on woody shrubs and small trees cutting branches on flowers and even grasses. It helps the gardeners to make the plants more beautiful. It’s the way of decorating the plants. It makes the surroundings more attractive and good-looking.
10. Hand Rake
This mini-rake is used for turning or loosening the gardening soil. It is also used to cultivate the soil around the plants and remove the weeds. It has a plastic or wood handle and curved wooden blades. It makes gardening easy, and it helps us a tool in gardening.
Why is Urban Gardening Important?
Here’s why urban gardening is essential.
Urban gardening is important because it provides many good effects to people, the environment, and the world. When urban gardening is being applied to every community and country, the world will suffer.
It will make our environment clean, make more foods, and make people healthy. There are many things why, but the whole thing is it makes people in a good place and save our environment and the entire world.
Urban Gardening Tips
Here are some urban gardening tips.
Pick the right plants. Doing it will allow the gardeners to plant the best plant on the soil. Choose the well and better tools. It will help to cultivate and to handle everything about planting. Put in some fertilizers. It will help the plants to grow well. And also use recycled materials to save money.
Urban Gardening Health Benefits
Here are the ten urban gardening health benefits.
- Helps in reducing air pollution.
- Adds more food to the community.
- Helps people to be healthy.
- Makes people relax and stress free.
- Reduces waste materials.
- Makes clean the environment.
- Produces fresh air.
- Save people’s money.
- Makes beautiful the surroundings.
- Makes people creative.
Thank you for reading this article about urban gardening.